National Novel Writing Month – you say what??
Yes, a month dedicated to writing a novel. Or not. It can be a collection of essays, short stories, it may be a cookbook or a biography. Really, whatever tickles your fancy. The point is to get you writing. Possibly that story / book you always wanted, or just realised that you wanted to write.
- Write – on paper, electronically, or in the sand, just write! That’s it!
- To write. Yes, that’s it. Now, NaNoWriMo suggests that you aim for about 50,000 words during the month, but you can really set your own word count goal. Or not! As long as you write, it’s all good. But seriously, you the one thing you must do, is write.
- Writing tools – notebook, pen, pencil, paper, laptop, computer, tablet, or whatever it is that you wrote on/in/with.
- NaNoWriMo has a dedicated website for support, suggestions, motivation, and a lively community to engage with fellow writers (or just browse the site for all the goodies, you don’t have to participate. although it’s nice to do so).
- Motivation – well you have to get that yourself. The internet may be a good resource (youtube, pinterest, nanowrimo, or good old google) for motivational or inspirational slogans, how-to guides and anything you might need to get yourself into gear and keep going. But as an extra, here’s one from me: You can do it! Just do it! Stop making excuses and do something amazing!
- Also, some dedication and commitment, and yeah, time will be required.
My NaNoWriMo journey: